Have a Nice Day!
I did something completely embarrassing at work on Friday. I blame it on a lack of sweet nectar of the gods, and the evilness of spell checker.
When I got to work on Friday, I had an email from a guy in the Fresno office (a pretty high up guy in Greg's division of the company). He was emailing me to let me know that he had received a suspicious email from me and wanted to double check and make sure that I had not sent him a real email and let me know that there may be a virus on my computer. I had not sent him anything (never met the man, actually), so I responded by thanking him for letting me know and that I would get my computer checked out by the tech guys. The only problem came when I apologized for any inconvenience. The problem is that I can't spell inconvenience. But that's what spell checkers for, right? So, I hit send, and spell checker popped up. I knew that my spelling was close, so I hit "change" for the first option. The email was immediately sent.
As soon as I hit change, I knew I had made a mistake. Instead of changing the word to the correct spelling, I changed the word to something completely unintended.
I apologized to the guy by saying "sorry for the incontinence!"
oh God!
I quickly sent a second email notifying him of the word that I meant to use and he responded by saying "no problem...happens to me all the time...not being able to spell...not incontinence." I figure he's probably laughing his ass off and everyone in the Fresno office now knows my name.
Fortunately, they're all probably mispronouncing it.
When I got to work on Friday, I had an email from a guy in the Fresno office (a pretty high up guy in Greg's division of the company). He was emailing me to let me know that he had received a suspicious email from me and wanted to double check and make sure that I had not sent him a real email and let me know that there may be a virus on my computer. I had not sent him anything (never met the man, actually), so I responded by thanking him for letting me know and that I would get my computer checked out by the tech guys. The only problem came when I apologized for any inconvenience. The problem is that I can't spell inconvenience. But that's what spell checkers for, right? So, I hit send, and spell checker popped up. I knew that my spelling was close, so I hit "change" for the first option. The email was immediately sent.
As soon as I hit change, I knew I had made a mistake. Instead of changing the word to the correct spelling, I changed the word to something completely unintended.
I apologized to the guy by saying "sorry for the incontinence!"
oh God!
I quickly sent a second email notifying him of the word that I meant to use and he responded by saying "no problem...happens to me all the time...not being able to spell...not incontinence." I figure he's probably laughing his ass off and everyone in the Fresno office now knows my name.
Fortunately, they're all probably mispronouncing it.

2 Comments:
good story. but what about your computer? we nerds need to know!
One of our staff did exactly the same thing. We posted the dictionary.com definition of incontinence in his cube for a while.
-Greg
Post a Comment
<< Home