The Champagne of Beers
I feel like I should give a little more background into the Miller High Life story, for those of you who are not familar with it.
About 4 years ago, Maureen and I threw a Peach Bowl party (since known as the New Years Eve party of that year). There was a pretty good crowd, lots of drinking, and plenty of games. A couple of the guys had brought over 2 cans of Miller High Life and proceeded to only drink one of them, the other stayed in the refrigerator. When those same guys came over for the next party and spoted the High Life, they gave Maureen and I so much greif for having "the champagne of beers" in our refrigerator. Needless to say, the beer has never been opened and has become a long standing joke. It has made several moves (it is 4 years old), been un-refrigerated for long periods of time and has generally been a standing fixture in our refrigerator. I believe I was supposed to take it with me when I moved back to BR, but I managed to leave it in Austin with Maureen. She has apparently decided that it is time for me to take possession of the High Life once more.
About 4 years ago, Maureen and I threw a Peach Bowl party (since known as the New Years Eve party of that year). There was a pretty good crowd, lots of drinking, and plenty of games. A couple of the guys had brought over 2 cans of Miller High Life and proceeded to only drink one of them, the other stayed in the refrigerator. When those same guys came over for the next party and spoted the High Life, they gave Maureen and I so much greif for having "the champagne of beers" in our refrigerator. Needless to say, the beer has never been opened and has become a long standing joke. It has made several moves (it is 4 years old), been un-refrigerated for long periods of time and has generally been a standing fixture in our refrigerator. I believe I was supposed to take it with me when I moved back to BR, but I managed to leave it in Austin with Maureen. She has apparently decided that it is time for me to take possession of the High Life once more.

14 Comments:
There is key missing element to your rendition of the story, Erin.
What did I miss???
Never open them! Keep them forever!
What did she miss? That it spent some time boxed up in a storage facility? Or that the High Life rightfully belongs to whoever is currently LIVING IN BATON ROUGE?
was it one of those things?
Technically, I thought it was that the last person living in Baton Rouge had to not just possess, but DRINK it.
Gee, how could I have forgotten that??
There was never any stated time period on that rule, plus, P.Kyle was technically the last person in BR (b/c there was a time period b/4 I moved back in which he was the only one here)....
That's my story, I'm sticking to it.
(Mo) Actually, I'm going to have to back Erin up on this one. She was not technically the last one left in BR. Also, the can clearly has some issues. I don't want to see anyone get sick.
Thanks Mo!
I know the original plan was for someone to drink it, but its just TOO old now. I think we just need to have some sort of memorial service for the can...where we pour it in a lake or the woods (or down a sink so we don't kill any living creatures/trees).
How did the beer wind up boxed up in a storage facility?
I have to admire your committment to the joke. I would have dumped it in the sink the first time I had to move anywhere (especially if there was any lingering threat that I might have to drink it one day).
Oh, by the way, that last one was me..Mary.
Mary - I believe it spent time in my storage unit during one of my moves...I don't remember which one exactly...
Maureen?
(Mo) Well, it went from me and erin's sharlo place, to me and melissa's place. And then when melissa and I left town, I brought it over to erin's apartment where it sat in a box on her couch for a while. That's where I lost track of it, until she brought it with her to our apartment in Austin. So its visit to the storage facility must have happened sometime in the year before erin moved to austin.
Yeah, so I think Erin is probably right about this P. Kyle thing, but she's back there now, and I still think that means she's stuck with it...much like a fruitcake.
(mo) actually, i'm the one who's stuck with it. for now.
Post a Comment
<< Home