Sonic...do you tip?
That's the burning question of the day...Do you tip when you go to Sonic?
I personally think the order process from beginning to end discourages patrons from tipping, but I've been told that people do. I'm under the assumption that Sonic employees get paid minimum wage and therefore do not require tips as a supplement to their income. Am I wrong? The only reason I could possibly think that Sonic employees (unlike other fast food joint employees) would earn a tip would be because they actually bring the food to your car, but that's the way Sonic is set up...you can't go inside a Sonic and get your food. So, my position is that Sonic employees don't need to be tipped.
Today, for lunch, I went to Sonic. When the girl brought my food, I handed over my debit card as my tender of payment. Before she rolled off on her skates, she asked me if I would like to put a tip on the card and, if so, how much. I couldn't tell her no, but I didn't want to tip her. It makes me never want to go back to Sonic again....
Any thoughts?
I personally think the order process from beginning to end discourages patrons from tipping, but I've been told that people do. I'm under the assumption that Sonic employees get paid minimum wage and therefore do not require tips as a supplement to their income. Am I wrong? The only reason I could possibly think that Sonic employees (unlike other fast food joint employees) would earn a tip would be because they actually bring the food to your car, but that's the way Sonic is set up...you can't go inside a Sonic and get your food. So, my position is that Sonic employees don't need to be tipped.
Today, for lunch, I went to Sonic. When the girl brought my food, I handed over my debit card as my tender of payment. Before she rolled off on her skates, she asked me if I would like to put a tip on the card and, if so, how much. I couldn't tell her no, but I didn't want to tip her. It makes me never want to go back to Sonic again....
Any thoughts?

9 Comments:
It's an age old dilemma. For me, it's the skates. If you walk to the car, well that's not all that fun, so no tip for you. If you skate, you go boy/girl, and I'll give you some cash. But that's just me.
I had a friend in college who worked at Sonic. From what she said, they do make minimum wage, and typically they don't expect tips. However, she said if they do something extra for you (i.e. make multiple trips back and forth to get you stuff, etc.) that they really appreciated that. Some people would give her a hard time (sending her back inside multiple times for extra mints, ketchup, etc.) and then not leave a tip, and that was the only time she'd be annoyed.
This was just a strait forward delivery...while she was on skates, she only had to make the one trip back to run the credit card.
The one thing that does make me feel better is that the food is always really hot (nothing worse than luke-warm french fries).
I'd probably leave a tip, but I would by no means feel obligated to follow usual tip conventions for full-service restaurants. Just a little somethin' somethin'.
(Mo) My rule is, if you have to ask for a tip, you sure as hell aren't getting one. Of course, this is just my rule in theory. In reality, I'm too much of a wuss to tell someone to their face that they suck. Or in this case, to imply it.
Chad, what does "if you skate, you go boy/girl" mean?
(Mo) Alright, I've thought about the "if you skate, you go boy/girl" comment a little and here's what I've come up with:
1. if the server is on skates, you make Melissa pay for her half and then you'll tip.
2. it's some sort of bad and confusing gender identification joke.
yes?
(Mo) Nevermind, Chad.... I think I just got it.
I'm so not hip.
I didn't know Sonic took cards now...Does the one in BR on Perkins take cards? (If so, this is not good for my lunch habits)
Yep, all of the ones in BR take cards. Its one of the reasons I am usually a big fan of Sonic. Well, that and their tator tots.
Post a Comment
<< Home