Thursday, January 17, 2008

Flawed Logic

I have a little political commentary to dispense here, and I hope you'll bear with me while I do. I don't really have any organization to these thoughts, so if they seem a little disjointed, you're just going to have to accept my very busy schedule and the fact that I can't always arrange things into the parable form feeble minds can readily soak in.

For the most part, I don't really concern myself with politics. I think it takes a certain type of person to be truly interested in the subject and that type of person is devoid of what I consider humanity. However, as our country appears to be heading in a path that is the opposite of what I think most Americans want out of a country, a great number of people are attaching a great deal of importance to the upcoming election.

We are all likely to be subjected to numerous opinions and rationalizations about who is and who is not the best candidate and to be honest, I trust the American public to make a rational, informed decision because its important about as much as I trust them to stop eating at McDonald's because it makes them fat. In other words, I think it would be just about right if Ronald McDonald were elected president. However, amongst the many reasons I have heard for voting or not voting for a candidate there is one that really, really makes me angry.

It is this: the people who think they are enormously clever by saying they won't vote for Obama because they're sure he'll be assassinated. Its asinine. People seem to say this and its like they are really claiming to be on his side in a way that even he can't comprehend, and really he's just a silly man for running for president at all, but no need to worry because we're looking out for him, and we will protect him from the certain future that he cannot perceive. I look at these people and I feel sorry for them.

It reminds me of a time, many years ago, growing up a small princess in Louisiana. As many of you know Louisiana is not the most welcoming place for people of color. In 1991 David Duke, a white supremacist and member of the Ku Klux Klan, ran for governor of that state, and placed second in the open primary to Edwin Edwards a former governor, who eventually won that election, and was later sentenced to 10 years in prison on racketeering charges in 2001. It was all very surreal that the quality of candidate the constituency chose to support was so deeply and obviously flawed. I remember bumper stickers that read: Vote for the Crook. It's important. To those not familiar, the crook was Edwards. What I remember though is hearing a poor young boy, who I believe is a Doctor now--but I'll save my opinions of Doctors for another day--say that his parents were voting for Duke because Edwards was a crook, and besides its not like the legislature would let him do anything. I didn't say anything then, but I distinctly remember thinking, "You poor, poor boy. Your parents are racists and you don't even know it." That's what I think of these people who are protecting Obama, that they are racists and don't even know it, and I feel sorry for them.

If a person wants to vocalize a reason for not voting for Obama, its their right, but not that reason. I'm letting people know this now as my means of protecting them, because if I hear this reason from someone, I will kill them.

p.s. Secret Service, if you read the post you'll see very clearly that despite the combination of the words, 'president,' 'Obama,' 'kill,' and 'assasinate' this post in no way necessitates that you interview me in anyway.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mary said...

I had forgotten about those bumper stickers! It's all coming back now!
I also remember hearing a few people make that asinine vote-for-Duke argument. I have NOT, however, heard the "let's save Obama's life by keeping him out of the White House" strategy. That is a new one to me, and I seriously hope it doesn't catch on in any real way.

2:10 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Oh, Mary, if only your hopes were realities, then the world might truly be what every mother hopes for her child. I think its so sad, and scares me because it has exactly the sort of cynical logic to it that makes it all but certain it will catch on and you will hear of it and when you do, I know you will dispense with all pleasantries and perhaps borrow my own cynically reasoned response that one shouldn't go around saying something like that because there are people who will kill you for saying it, and really, I'm just looking out for you.

10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home