The Only Thing We Have
After essentially single-handedly winning World War II, despite almost being court-marshaled by Ross Gellar, Damien Lewis returns to American hearts as NBC's new quirky detective. NBC-Universal used to have Vincent D'Onofrio as its resident quirky detective on Law & Order: Criminal Intent, but his unabated consumption of illicit drugs led studio executives to back off featuring him on a major network. Already they had cut his workload in half by reintroducing Mr. Big as a Law & Order detective, but Vincent's increased bloating and graying hair were just too much. Directors were increasingly worried about being able to fit his head onscreen, so the show was moved to the red-headed stepchild USA Network.
Recognizing a huge void in their schedule of detective shows, Life has taken the detective show starved television viewing public by storm. The premise of the show is that Damien Lewis's character was a police officer who was framed 12 years ago for the murder of his business partner and the partner's family. After 12 years in prison, after the tireless efforts of his lovesick lawyer, he is released with a big fat settlement that also includes a position as Detective on the LAPD. Now, he was just a regular officer before, and I'm pretty sure there are some educational requirements for detective work, but reality is not a pressing concern for this show. I think it would have been more interesting if he had required, as part of his settlement, that he be made head surgeon at a hospital, which would have filled another void in the line-up: hospital shows.
Of course, because he spent 12 years in jail, as a cop no less, we are constantly reminded that he has an appreciation for things that you or I will never understand. This appreciation is revealed in his desire for fruit, his refusal to have furniture, and the fact that he is has a new trollop staying over every episode. I'm trying to understand how this differs from a normal man, but all I can come up with so far, is that he doesn't seem to watch sports.
Anyway, most people find Vincent D'Onofrio incredibly uncomfortable in Criminal Intent, because the ticks he gives his characters are so unnerving. Damien Lewis is a bit more charming. Here's a secret though that will either ruin Damien Lewis for you or possibly make him a must watch. Also, it may have no effect on your view of Damien Lewis at all.
He's British. That's right, you can watch him report on great deals in Bolivia here. Personally, I find it a little bit annoying that his American accent is totally fake. Its like watching Imagine Me & You and admiring the British so much because of their very cheeky comedies, only to discover that the lead character is played by someone who probably sounds more like Jessica Simpson at home than Madonna.
Anyway, if you can get past the idea World War II may have been won single-handedly by a Londoner, this is actually probably the best new show on television. In case you think this is some kind of high praise, let me disabuse you of that notion. More scripts have been ordered, so it looks like it will be around for awhile.
Recognizing a huge void in their schedule of detective shows, Life has taken the detective show starved television viewing public by storm. The premise of the show is that Damien Lewis's character was a police officer who was framed 12 years ago for the murder of his business partner and the partner's family. After 12 years in prison, after the tireless efforts of his lovesick lawyer, he is released with a big fat settlement that also includes a position as Detective on the LAPD. Now, he was just a regular officer before, and I'm pretty sure there are some educational requirements for detective work, but reality is not a pressing concern for this show. I think it would have been more interesting if he had required, as part of his settlement, that he be made head surgeon at a hospital, which would have filled another void in the line-up: hospital shows.
Of course, because he spent 12 years in jail, as a cop no less, we are constantly reminded that he has an appreciation for things that you or I will never understand. This appreciation is revealed in his desire for fruit, his refusal to have furniture, and the fact that he is has a new trollop staying over every episode. I'm trying to understand how this differs from a normal man, but all I can come up with so far, is that he doesn't seem to watch sports.
Anyway, most people find Vincent D'Onofrio incredibly uncomfortable in Criminal Intent, because the ticks he gives his characters are so unnerving. Damien Lewis is a bit more charming. Here's a secret though that will either ruin Damien Lewis for you or possibly make him a must watch. Also, it may have no effect on your view of Damien Lewis at all.
He's British. That's right, you can watch him report on great deals in Bolivia here. Personally, I find it a little bit annoying that his American accent is totally fake. Its like watching Imagine Me & You and admiring the British so much because of their very cheeky comedies, only to discover that the lead character is played by someone who probably sounds more like Jessica Simpson at home than Madonna.
Anyway, if you can get past the idea World War II may have been won single-handedly by a Londoner, this is actually probably the best new show on television. In case you think this is some kind of high praise, let me disabuse you of that notion. More scripts have been ordered, so it looks like it will be around for awhile.

3 Comments:
Praise? Actually praise? Am I missing the joke somewhere?
Journeyman and House too...both British.
What I can I say, I'm a sucker for cute British men.
Post a Comment
<< Home