People Different From You
I watched Heroes last season. I'm not making the same mistake this time. I've already seen this show before and its called The 4400. The glacial pace of the show combined with the fact that actual heroics are absent makes this show unwatchable in my opinion. Unfortunately, thanks to TIVO and the internet serialized shows like this don't quite hemorrhage viewers like they used to. I think that the normal human psyche has some intrinsic desire to know what happens next, even though the answer is clear: nothing happens next. Not a damn thing. Characters talk in hushed emphatic voices because the ludicrous situations the actors find themselves in, namely having to fill an actionless hour of television with precious little dialogue and never ending exposition, allow for nothing else.
According to this show, heroes are not people who take arms against a sea of troubles and by opposing end them, but people with genetic advantages which they use primarily for personal gain. In other words, I am one of the world's greatest heroes, possessing preternatural abilities in nearly everything I do. Mostly, I use these genetic advantages for personal gain, but on more than one occasion I have saved the life of another. Every time I haven't stabbed a barista in the eye for getting my order wrong, I've saved lives.
In fact for a bunch of supposed heroes, there are quite a number of crimes being committed. Its the old flight vs. invisibility argument. (When you listen to this, ask yourself, am I listening to PC narrate Act I? because the answer is Yes you most certainly are.) These superpowers speak to primal desires within ourselves, and these desires are some basic recognition that being a human is not enough. The world is filled with so many. A thing has value only if its truly rare, and you sadly, are not. Notice, of all the things you see these supposed Heroes doing, these evolutionary superiors, you will never, not for one second, catch them watching NBC. Or at least that was one of the notes I gave the studio executives as their model for human superiority.
According to this show, heroes are not people who take arms against a sea of troubles and by opposing end them, but people with genetic advantages which they use primarily for personal gain. In other words, I am one of the world's greatest heroes, possessing preternatural abilities in nearly everything I do. Mostly, I use these genetic advantages for personal gain, but on more than one occasion I have saved the life of another. Every time I haven't stabbed a barista in the eye for getting my order wrong, I've saved lives.
In fact for a bunch of supposed heroes, there are quite a number of crimes being committed. Its the old flight vs. invisibility argument. (When you listen to this, ask yourself, am I listening to PC narrate Act I? because the answer is Yes you most certainly are.) These superpowers speak to primal desires within ourselves, and these desires are some basic recognition that being a human is not enough. The world is filled with so many. A thing has value only if its truly rare, and you sadly, are not. Notice, of all the things you see these supposed Heroes doing, these evolutionary superiors, you will never, not for one second, catch them watching NBC. Or at least that was one of the notes I gave the studio executives as their model for human superiority.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home