Its Big and I Guess Love is as Good a Word as Any Other
Like the rest of television Big Love is awful. I'm sorely tempted to go on a long rant about the second word in the title because I feel that if I'm going to talk about something I ought to at least make an effort to get everyone on the same page about what that is. However, as many of you are married, and I kept my mouth shut before you made your vows--another meaningless four letter word (you know who I'm speaking to)--I ought to have the decency to keep my mouth shut now.
Anyway, my main problem with this show is that it is absolutely impossible for me to watch Bill Paxton on screen without imagining him responding to any sort of crisis of any degree by reprising his role as Private Hudson in Aliens and exclaiming: "That's it man, game over man, game over! What the fuck are we gonna do now? What are we gonna do?" And on top of that, watching him lustily contemplate the posterior of any young vivacious woman as she walks away is just too much. I've known enough men in my lifetime. That's not acting. Its just not giving a shit that people are watching.
Following the family dynamics of a polygamist just isn't particularly interesting to me. Its like watching people live without modern amenities. It's just not the way we do things anymore. I'm sure one day in the long term future there will be some sort of "media experience" about two people being married. Possibly they will have children. It will probably be a comedy. And it will be just as strange and fascinating to the proletariat of the future as Big Love is to you now. Self-important economists will bloviate about how marriage amongst fundamentalists causes war.
Really, I weep for you married people and the awkwardness you must endure living with someone else so totally imperfect. Look over at them right now or contemplate them in your mind. See that glaring imperfection? The thing that eats at your very being until you want to scream? The thing that will keep you up at night, tonight and every night that you haven't been exhausted dealing with them? And you're willing to forgive it for a little joke that is really kind of insulting and demeaning? Well, I suppose you can always hope you die first so that there will be someone else who will feel obligated to dispose of you in whatever socially acceptable way the future holds. That's the upside I see. I think some greenie is going to come up with a way to make human disposable carbon positive. For the children.
Anyway, my main problem with this show is that it is absolutely impossible for me to watch Bill Paxton on screen without imagining him responding to any sort of crisis of any degree by reprising his role as Private Hudson in Aliens and exclaiming: "That's it man, game over man, game over! What the fuck are we gonna do now? What are we gonna do?" And on top of that, watching him lustily contemplate the posterior of any young vivacious woman as she walks away is just too much. I've known enough men in my lifetime. That's not acting. Its just not giving a shit that people are watching.
Following the family dynamics of a polygamist just isn't particularly interesting to me. Its like watching people live without modern amenities. It's just not the way we do things anymore. I'm sure one day in the long term future there will be some sort of "media experience" about two people being married. Possibly they will have children. It will probably be a comedy. And it will be just as strange and fascinating to the proletariat of the future as Big Love is to you now. Self-important economists will bloviate about how marriage amongst fundamentalists causes war.
Really, I weep for you married people and the awkwardness you must endure living with someone else so totally imperfect. Look over at them right now or contemplate them in your mind. See that glaring imperfection? The thing that eats at your very being until you want to scream? The thing that will keep you up at night, tonight and every night that you haven't been exhausted dealing with them? And you're willing to forgive it for a little joke that is really kind of insulting and demeaning? Well, I suppose you can always hope you die first so that there will be someone else who will feel obligated to dispose of you in whatever socially acceptable way the future holds. That's the upside I see. I think some greenie is going to come up with a way to make human disposable carbon positive. For the children.

2 Comments:
If you like Blazinsaddles you should check out Tell Me You Love Me. It must be from the same producers.
Wow. Yeah. the Big Love analysis does seem to have some of the same themes. At least from what I've seen.
-mo
Post a Comment
<< Home