Long time...No Blog
For those of you who don't know, my dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer about a month ago. We're fortunate because it is a very treatable cancer and it has been caught in the early stages. Treatments include surgery or radiation. Dad decided to go with surgery and went under the knife last Wednesday morning. Everything went well and he was given his release papers on Friday morning, painkillers in hand. Unfortunately, one of the side effects of said painkillers is extreme nausea and it can really screw up your digestive system. He started feeling bad on Friday night and by Saturday evening, he was extremely miserable. Under the advice of his doctor, he went back to the hospital so that they can get him back on track. While it is not as serious as it could be, it's still rather stressful, especially for my mom. I'm afraid she is going to crash soon.
Spending time in the hospital, and seeing some of the people there, makes me realize how fortunate my family really has been. Even with dad's cancer, things could be a lot worse.
On a lighter note, I've started running. I've been feeling miserable lately and needed to get back into a work out routine, so I bought a new pair of Nike's. I do better when motivated by spending money. There is a path along the sea wall that is set up for runners/walkers, bikers, etc to use. It even has the 10th of the miles marked off on it. I figured that I won't be able to run by the sea at sunset in Baton Rouge, so I need to enjoy this while I can.
Spending time in the hospital, and seeing some of the people there, makes me realize how fortunate my family really has been. Even with dad's cancer, things could be a lot worse.
On a lighter note, I've started running. I've been feeling miserable lately and needed to get back into a work out routine, so I bought a new pair of Nike's. I do better when motivated by spending money. There is a path along the sea wall that is set up for runners/walkers, bikers, etc to use. It even has the 10th of the miles marked off on it. I figured that I won't be able to run by the sea at sunset in Baton Rouge, so I need to enjoy this while I can.

4 Comments:
(Mary) I'm glad to hear that other than the nausea you're father is doing well. We'll keep him in our prayers.
On a lighter note, why is everyone getting into running except for me? You, Melissa, Taylor, Carrie, and Richard. Everywhere I look these days, I see runners. It makes me keep thinking, "maybe it IS fun, maybe I'll like it more now that I'm older." Then I try it, only to remember everything I hate about it. Give me an airconditioned room with an eliptical machine and a tv any day (or an air conditioned room and an hour of pilates, which I LOVE)
I'm not saying that the running thing is going to last....give me a gym membership to a gym within the city limits and an elliptical machine over July heat in the south anyday...but, now that I've started, and since it is so pretty running out there, I may continue to run in the fall. Maybe I'll train myself to run something small. 10k or something like that.
(Mary) I always used to think that running in the heat was the worst thing ever. It is pretty terrible, but now I think that running in the freezing cold is even worse. When the air is really dry and cold, it's surprisingly hard to breath. I used to get uncomfortable just walking for any long length of time. Your throat and your eyes hurt too. This is why Richard and I need to win the lottery and join the rich people's athletic club that we live next door to. It has an indoor running track, indoor basketball court, indoor tennis courts, and an indoor olympic size swimming pool. If we were members, we could have a good shot at not gaining the winter weight.
(mo) I agree with Mary a hundred percent. I much prefer the gym at my complex to just about anything I could do outdoors. Only complaint I have is the window the gym shares with the main office, ensuring that while you're at your grossest and most vulnerable, you've got an audience of office presonnel passing judgement from the comfort of their fully adjustable desk chairs. I find the vibe a little weird, but whatever. It's air conditioned.
Post a Comment
<< Home