Aye, Aye Captain
I had the opporunity to go on board the USS Chung Hoon Yesterday. This ship has already been turned over to the Navy, but has not left the Ship Yard yet. It heads for Hawaii in 3 weeks.
I have to say that this was one of the coolest experiences I've had here so far. We actually had to hijack a sailor to get us on board. After him leading us around for about 10 minutes, one of the deck officers spotted us and took over the tour. We got to see everything from the engines, rudders and pistons to the command center (Restricted area: where they fire all the big guns) and the Steer House (i think that's what it is called...its where they steer the ship). We also walked down in the area where the men and women were killed in the terrorist attack on the USS Cole
While it was an awe inspiring experience and I truely do respect the men and women in the Navy (and armed forces, in general), I don't think I could ever live on a ship. My legs hurt and I know I have 15 new bruises today. Thank God I was wearing a hard hat! I almost knocked myself out going up a set of stairs in that ship. I think I'd be one giant bruise if I stayed on the ship!
I have to say that this was one of the coolest experiences I've had here so far. We actually had to hijack a sailor to get us on board. After him leading us around for about 10 minutes, one of the deck officers spotted us and took over the tour. We got to see everything from the engines, rudders and pistons to the command center (Restricted area: where they fire all the big guns) and the Steer House (i think that's what it is called...its where they steer the ship). We also walked down in the area where the men and women were killed in the terrorist attack on the USS Cole
While it was an awe inspiring experience and I truely do respect the men and women in the Navy (and armed forces, in general), I don't think I could ever live on a ship. My legs hurt and I know I have 15 new bruises today. Thank God I was wearing a hard hat! I almost knocked myself out going up a set of stairs in that ship. I think I'd be one giant bruise if I stayed on the ship!

1 Comments:
(Mary) I don't think I could live on a ship either. Too claustrophobic...I remember touring the USS KID in Baton Rouge when I was little. Even when I was seven I remember thinking "man, this is a narrow little hall." My mom could hardly make it through the tour (she has some genuine claustrophobia going on)
Post a Comment
<< Home