Urgh
Um, I'm thinking about trading in my hybrid for a new car. This makes me queasy....excited queasy and am-I-crazy queasy.
Here's the deal.
My hybrid currently has about 67K miles on it. Being a hybrid, they don't really know what happens to the main battery when it reaches its life expectancy of 100k miles. The replacement cost runs around $6,000. I have a warranty on that battery until the 100K mark, but my extended warranty on the rest of the car's working parts is almost up. I'm very concerned that I could have an expensive breakdown once the extended warranty is up. I understand and agree with the idea that you should run a car into the ground before replacing it, however, I'm concerned that this car may be in the ground before I finish paying it off.
I am scheduled to be on my Galveston project until the end of the year. At that point, i will have been there for 3 years and I think I can fight like hell to get put on something different at that point (fingers crossed). Hopefully something traveling, where i can park my car at an airport for weeks on end. So, if I do get a new car, it will have some mileage on it by the time I'm done with Galveston, but it won't be 100K miles (fingers crossed).
In addition, if I buy something slightly less expensive than the hybrid, I can lower my monthly car note....it's like a re-financing deal, but with a new-car benefit. I'm looking at a Mercury Milan (think Ford Fusion). It's economical, but loaded with cool features and options (like leather and sync). It does have a 60/40 fold down seat, so i can still fit my bike in the trunk.
I'm looking at the Mercury for a couple of different reasons. 1) They have some great rebates going on right now....i can get about 6K off the MSRP, 2) I like the feature of key-pad entry....I have to stick with something made by Ford so that I can keep that, and 3) I like the dealership I bought the Mariner from. Knowing that I'm a repeat customer can help me get an even better deal.
Anyway, that's it. Do you think I'm crazy?
Here's the deal.
My hybrid currently has about 67K miles on it. Being a hybrid, they don't really know what happens to the main battery when it reaches its life expectancy of 100k miles. The replacement cost runs around $6,000. I have a warranty on that battery until the 100K mark, but my extended warranty on the rest of the car's working parts is almost up. I'm very concerned that I could have an expensive breakdown once the extended warranty is up. I understand and agree with the idea that you should run a car into the ground before replacing it, however, I'm concerned that this car may be in the ground before I finish paying it off.
I am scheduled to be on my Galveston project until the end of the year. At that point, i will have been there for 3 years and I think I can fight like hell to get put on something different at that point (fingers crossed). Hopefully something traveling, where i can park my car at an airport for weeks on end. So, if I do get a new car, it will have some mileage on it by the time I'm done with Galveston, but it won't be 100K miles (fingers crossed).
In addition, if I buy something slightly less expensive than the hybrid, I can lower my monthly car note....it's like a re-financing deal, but with a new-car benefit. I'm looking at a Mercury Milan (think Ford Fusion). It's economical, but loaded with cool features and options (like leather and sync). It does have a 60/40 fold down seat, so i can still fit my bike in the trunk.
I'm looking at the Mercury for a couple of different reasons. 1) They have some great rebates going on right now....i can get about 6K off the MSRP, 2) I like the feature of key-pad entry....I have to stick with something made by Ford so that I can keep that, and 3) I like the dealership I bought the Mariner from. Knowing that I'm a repeat customer can help me get an even better deal.
Anyway, that's it. Do you think I'm crazy?

1 Comments:
Naw, not crazy - the complications of servicing hybrids until they run into the ground scares me too! But if you're still willing to go hybrid, I hear the Ford Fusion Hybrid is supposed to be pretty cool.
Post a Comment
<< Home