p90x: Days 1-2
Several months ago, my roommate purchased the P90x. If you haven't seen the infomercials, then you may not know what I'm talking about, but its a 90 day exercise program that works off of the idea of muscle confusion. It has 12 different workouts, everything from chest & back work (lots of push and pull ups) to plyometrics (jump training) and yoga. If you google the program, you'll see before and after photos of normal people completely transformed into the physically best shape of their lives.
My sister and brother-in-law purchased and started it about a month ago, and they both love it. Since the only thing my roommate was doing with his copy of it was collecting dust, I decided to brush it off and try it out. One complaint I've always had about my own fitness is my lack of stregnth...I am very week and I'm interested in doing some basic weight training, combined with cardio, that will allow me to build muscle and stregnth. Plus, it's lent, I need a lenten promise.
So, I started the program on Sunday. The first day included the chest and back workout combined with their abs program. The chest and back wasn't bad. I wasn't able to do everything that they did, and it may be a while before I'm able to do the number of reps that the folks on the videos do, but there wasn't any move that I flat out couldn't do in some shape or form. I can't do a full out pull up to save my life at this point, but with the assistance of a chair, i'm at least able to do the motion and do a pull up type action. The ab workout was just flat out difficult, but only because I had been working my abs doing push ups and pull ups for an hour before I got to it. My sister says that she will do the first work out earlier in the day, then come back at night to do the abs. The break in between will probably help.
The second day was Plyometrics, which was like jump training. I had heard that it was the most difficult workout of the bunch, so I went into it a bit worried. Most of the workout was lunges and squats (you jump up in the air a lot too). It really wasn't bad, although I am not coordinated enough to do some of the exercises, I have no doubts that I'll improve as I go along. The only time I yelled at the TV was when they told me to jump on one leg while moving in an X formation on the ground. Its so sad how difficult it is to jump on one leg. All in all, the video wasn't as bad as I feared, and several of the exercises were a lot of fun.
I was sore yesterday, and I'm sore today, as my body has been reminded of several undeveloped muscles that it prefers to ignore. From what friends and family have told me, I should be sore most of this week, but it will get better as we go along. The soreness isn't too bad and its nothing I can't handle.
I'm not doing too well sticking with the diet aspect of it, although I have enough weight watchers training so that I'm not eating poorly, just not always as they recommend. The diet changes as you progress in the program, and its similar to weight watchers in the sense that you trade off what you eat. It focuses on high protein through out it, but it does allow you more carbs as you go through. I haven't eaten too far from the plan, but while they recommend veggies like green beans, I'm pretty sure they didn't mean for them to be battered and fried a la TGIFridays.
Anyway, that's day one and two for me. I won't update this every day, but I will periodically post some info on here. It should be fun to track the progress as I go along.
My sister and brother-in-law purchased and started it about a month ago, and they both love it. Since the only thing my roommate was doing with his copy of it was collecting dust, I decided to brush it off and try it out. One complaint I've always had about my own fitness is my lack of stregnth...I am very week and I'm interested in doing some basic weight training, combined with cardio, that will allow me to build muscle and stregnth. Plus, it's lent, I need a lenten promise.
So, I started the program on Sunday. The first day included the chest and back workout combined with their abs program. The chest and back wasn't bad. I wasn't able to do everything that they did, and it may be a while before I'm able to do the number of reps that the folks on the videos do, but there wasn't any move that I flat out couldn't do in some shape or form. I can't do a full out pull up to save my life at this point, but with the assistance of a chair, i'm at least able to do the motion and do a pull up type action. The ab workout was just flat out difficult, but only because I had been working my abs doing push ups and pull ups for an hour before I got to it. My sister says that she will do the first work out earlier in the day, then come back at night to do the abs. The break in between will probably help.
The second day was Plyometrics, which was like jump training. I had heard that it was the most difficult workout of the bunch, so I went into it a bit worried. Most of the workout was lunges and squats (you jump up in the air a lot too). It really wasn't bad, although I am not coordinated enough to do some of the exercises, I have no doubts that I'll improve as I go along. The only time I yelled at the TV was when they told me to jump on one leg while moving in an X formation on the ground. Its so sad how difficult it is to jump on one leg. All in all, the video wasn't as bad as I feared, and several of the exercises were a lot of fun.
I was sore yesterday, and I'm sore today, as my body has been reminded of several undeveloped muscles that it prefers to ignore. From what friends and family have told me, I should be sore most of this week, but it will get better as we go along. The soreness isn't too bad and its nothing I can't handle.
I'm not doing too well sticking with the diet aspect of it, although I have enough weight watchers training so that I'm not eating poorly, just not always as they recommend. The diet changes as you progress in the program, and its similar to weight watchers in the sense that you trade off what you eat. It focuses on high protein through out it, but it does allow you more carbs as you go through. I haven't eaten too far from the plan, but while they recommend veggies like green beans, I'm pretty sure they didn't mean for them to be battered and fried a la TGIFridays.
Anyway, that's day one and two for me. I won't update this every day, but I will periodically post some info on here. It should be fun to track the progress as I go along.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home