Sunday, February 01, 2009

Hey Pretty

This past week was my hell week. Starting off with the flu was a rough start to a stress filled week at work since my deadlines don't move just because I'm sick. Alas, everything that could get done, plus more, did get done and I left work Friday feeling accomplished and able to relax and enjoy the weekend. Karma paid off when at 5pm on Friday evening, I found out that one of my deadlines for this upcoming Friday was moved to the following week, allowing me a little more breathing room with everything that has to get done this week and next. I think my "busy" season is officially over now.

Work has been challenging lately for several reasons:
1) I was recently assigned an entire boatload of work that doubled my previous workload. I was not happy about this assignment because it only proves that I've been on the project for way too long. It also came completely out of the blue and left me feeling like I had received the rough end of the shaft.
2) I was officially assigned to another full year on the Galveston project, meaning another 40K miles on my less than 2-year old car (which already has 60K+ miles on it).
3) I recently discovered my passion for writing fiction and finally feeling that strongly about doing something only makes working, at a job I don't like, excruciating.
4) The economy sucks - I think that its depressing everyone at this point.

All of these things leave me less motivated to perform at the level I have been at work and that lack of motivation means that I find it harder to do EVERYTHING. One nice thing about this week was that I found my motivation again...stress and deadlines are powerful tools for me to get things done in a timely manner.

However, I still want to figure out a way to write full-time and I'm devoting my energy towards making that dream a reality. I can't help but feel that if I have finally found something that I enjoy, as much as I do with writing, it has to work out....I HAVE to be able to do this with some basic level of talent...enough to achieve some level of success. Recently, I received a fortune cookie that said "You will be an accomplished writer." I'm taking that as a sign from God that this is going to work.

I also need to figure out a way for me to move to New Orleans in the next couple of years because I'm tired of my life here in Houston. I will hate to give up living so close to my sister and her family, but I need to be closer to the friends that I call family. I know she'll understand; her old friends brought her to Houston.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home