Thursday, June 19, 2008

Yes, Virginia, there are crappy poems

Some of the haughty amongst you have wondered if perhaps the quality of the poems posted here is in some way indicative of an overall poor quality of poems passing through the selection committee. I can only tell you, that you have no idea. Some people seem to have replaced their morning crossword with poem creation and their multiple submissions are coming not unlike an especially poorly acted Paul Walker movie, which is to say, Fast and Furious. Some of you don't even seem to care, not even letting the poetry speak to your soul. Take this submission:

this is just to say
by carrie riché riché

I could not
come up with
a suitable
topic

so this
stanza is just
a placeholder
before the end

forgive me
my creativity
is sapped
by drudgery

In the first place, I don't think that's even her real name, and if its not she totally screwed up the name pattern anyway. In the second place, the second stanza talks specifically about itself which is totally against all rules having to do with poetry. You can't make self referential poetry. Everybody knows that. This type of lackadaisical submission only makes me angry. It is the equivalent of a paperweight gift. If you refuse to put any thought into it at all. Then don't bother.

But before I scare you off, ask yourself when the last time was that you wrote a poem? I thought so. What about jumping for joy? Attempting a cartwheel? You don't even know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home