Old Friend
I like to compare certain elements of life to an old friend, of which I have many. An old friend is someone I am completely comfortable with, with whom the selfish things that generally rule my day like little bombastic potentates, reveal themselves to be small enough to quash between my thumb and forefinger. With an old friend transgressions are not just forgiven, but morphed into humorous anecdotes, although that is largely because I am so generous. My own ostensible impositions are really little gifts for those around me. My wake, as it were, if I may mix my metaphors, which you know from experience I will, smells of flowers and ginger, and if it has rocked your boat a bit, well just remember, its the very reason you put to sea.
But back to the old friend. I'm coming to terms with a certain distaste for this type of phrasing. Of course, I'm a proper young lady, and should never dream of improper sentence structure, but these guardians of grammar occupy a wide dominion. I debate whether I should aim for my grammar to sound more conversational, or my conversation to be more grammatical. Of course, my natural inclination is correct. It must be. These grammarians say its alright to pronounce nuclear, sic nucular, because presidents of great (?) stature--Messrs. Carter, Clinton and Bush--have said it so publicly. Well, I'm of at least as great stature as these three. Combined. Although not literally, figuratively of course. Grammarians take note: I'm making sentences out of words for effect. And I'm also opening paragraphs with sentences that are just lies and lies. A fresh start is required.
Silent Alarm by Bloc Party. I distrust public endorsements, so. For me, they are practically censures. Surely someone with my impeccable taste is not similarly regarded, though. I've had this gem nestled away for even I don't know how long although it can't have been more than two years, and by the strangest circumstances had to give it a listen. And now it and I are like old friends. I hardly want to part with it. If you too have let it escape your attention, redirect it. Of course, your tastes may not be mine, but then that is a very poor reflection on your tastes. Perhaps you don't have any old friends at all. I weep for you if that's the case. On the inside of course, darling. Only on the inside.
But back to the old friend. I'm coming to terms with a certain distaste for this type of phrasing. Of course, I'm a proper young lady, and should never dream of improper sentence structure, but these guardians of grammar occupy a wide dominion. I debate whether I should aim for my grammar to sound more conversational, or my conversation to be more grammatical. Of course, my natural inclination is correct. It must be. These grammarians say its alright to pronounce nuclear, sic nucular, because presidents of great (?) stature--Messrs. Carter, Clinton and Bush--have said it so publicly. Well, I'm of at least as great stature as these three. Combined. Although not literally, figuratively of course. Grammarians take note: I'm making sentences out of words for effect. And I'm also opening paragraphs with sentences that are just lies and lies. A fresh start is required.
Silent Alarm by Bloc Party. I distrust public endorsements, so. For me, they are practically censures. Surely someone with my impeccable taste is not similarly regarded, though. I've had this gem nestled away for even I don't know how long although it can't have been more than two years, and by the strangest circumstances had to give it a listen. And now it and I are like old friends. I hardly want to part with it. If you too have let it escape your attention, redirect it. Of course, your tastes may not be mine, but then that is a very poor reflection on your tastes. Perhaps you don't have any old friends at all. I weep for you if that's the case. On the inside of course, darling. Only on the inside.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home