Education
Okay, first off, let me say that writing a 4-page paper (single space, 12 pt font, 1 inch margins) on how to account for capital and operating leases is a pain in the ass.
Whheewww...needed to say that.
So, my sister, mom and I have all gotten into the habit of locking the door whenever we are home. It's a safety thing...Baton Rouge has had not 1, but 2 serial killers in the past few years, not to mention the infamous serial snuggler (now that's some scary shit). I can't tell you how many times we've locked Dad out when we've come home while he's been working in the yard or even locked ourselves out when walking outside with the dogs.
However, not everyone in Baton Rouge thinks that it's an unsafe place to live. There are still some people (mostly LSU students living in and around campus) who think, "oh, we'll they caught the serial killers...yeah, it turned out there were two of them, not just one. Surely there is no more crime in Baton Rouge! Right?"
A couple of nights ago, 6 people were watching a movie in an apartment at University Commons. Around 1am, someone knocked on the door. Instead of getting up to see who was at the door, they just yelled, "come in!" A couple of armed men walked into the apartment and robbed them at gun point.
Granted, I guess I have to give them a little bit of credit. If I had several friends over I don't know that I'd necessarily lock my door, but at least check and see who's there...don't just yell and invite them in, unseen!
Whheewww...needed to say that.
So, my sister, mom and I have all gotten into the habit of locking the door whenever we are home. It's a safety thing...Baton Rouge has had not 1, but 2 serial killers in the past few years, not to mention the infamous serial snuggler (now that's some scary shit). I can't tell you how many times we've locked Dad out when we've come home while he's been working in the yard or even locked ourselves out when walking outside with the dogs.
However, not everyone in Baton Rouge thinks that it's an unsafe place to live. There are still some people (mostly LSU students living in and around campus) who think, "oh, we'll they caught the serial killers...yeah, it turned out there were two of them, not just one. Surely there is no more crime in Baton Rouge! Right?"
A couple of nights ago, 6 people were watching a movie in an apartment at University Commons. Around 1am, someone knocked on the door. Instead of getting up to see who was at the door, they just yelled, "come in!" A couple of armed men walked into the apartment and robbed them at gun point.
Granted, I guess I have to give them a little bit of credit. If I had several friends over I don't know that I'd necessarily lock my door, but at least check and see who's there...don't just yell and invite them in, unseen!

4 Comments:
If I had been home alone, I would have checked. If I had friends over and wasn't expecting anyone else, I would have checked. But if I had six friends already over and knew more were coming, I likely would have done the same thing. Not cool.
Like I said, I wouldn't necessarily lock the door either. I did forget to mention that they interviewed the guys' neighbors who all said something along the lines of, "yeah, I was up and I didn't have my door locked either, it could have been me..."
Yeah, that's just when you need to shell out the $5 and get your friends keys to your place, if you want them to be able to pop in whenever.
My sophomore year, my roommate marched in with one of those yellow 'Crime Alert' posters that TPD would put up and informed me that the perpetrator was a good friend of hers..... The guy would wander around until he found an open door and then climb into bed with any prone woman. She claimed it was just his ex-girlfriend (like that made it okay... if he's your ex, that probably indicates you're not okay with that), but the bulletin mentioned multiple break-ins. Yikes! I always insisted on a locked door, much to the bitching of my roommates.
Post a Comment
<< Home