Thursday, July 03, 2008

Pillars of Sand

Is nothing sacred? It seems the authorship of poems and comments and everything has been brought into question.  Did sweet Maureen really say what she did? Did she submit this poem:

this is just to say
by mo reen mo

I have written
this one verse
that is in
my defense

and which
you were probably
not going to
reimburse

forgive me
I gotsta
get
paid

I do not believe that she did. There is a certain element and style to it that, objectively speaking, is quite striking, but if we are to ascribe authorship to her, then to whom should I credit the other poem in her name?

I can't possibly reprint it here. Its honesty, its truth is too much with which to burden the world. I read it and it raised my head like a mother's shrill and inconsolable cry at the funeral for her only son, all the more piercing that it is heard above the din of a rolling and undulating sea of mourners, a nation of mourners for a surer hero they never knew, whose sacrifice hangs their heads and commands a majestic monument engineered to weather the abrasive sands of time all of which means nothing to the mother, alone in her loss.

Can you even imagine that words can capture such a feeling? That they might crush you under their weight? No, it would be irresponsible to let such feeling loose upon the unprepared. But the authors of the two poems cannot be the same person. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if a careful and thorough scientific analysis revealed that the ditty I've printed above was written by the same writer who earlier claimed lapope as his name. I'm prepared to call it a fact. But I will reserve judgement and ask my readers to, also.

Instead, let's return to the good natured fun I like to promote here. Life is too short to let the heavy truths weigh us down.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home