Friday, July 20, 2007

Fittingly Friday

I can't tell you how glad I am its Friday. Ever since I let slip that I had and read a copy of that book, I've been beset on all sides by people wanting and not wanting hints and insights into what they'll own for themselves at midnight tonight. You might think I'd become used to the push and pull of all those around me who want a delectable piece of me, but in truth, its just endlessly tiring.

And sure, the book is a worldwide phenomenon, but in the end its just a book about a scrawny boy. If I had to say one thing about this book that was not in anyway a spoiler, it would be that the language really did pass the boundary of good taste on several occasions. I've always thought of Potter as genial escape, a different world where curses had a unique flavor because of their wizarding origins. Frankly, its not to hard to enjoy a bit of escapism where the author has word replaced 'God' with 'Merlin' in every oath. But more importantly, I've thought of it as an opportunity for young children to be caught up and swept away by a ripple in the majestic ocean that is literature. Sure, Potter is very nearly the lowest grade of literature, but I think Miss Rowling has made an effort to use a thesaurus from time to time, and I've always imagined millions of children with wonder in their eyes asking their hopeful parents what this and that word means, perhaps beginning a love affair with the only common form of expression they will find in this harsh world: words.

So tell me, what are these hopeful parents, who may think these tomes are the tip of the iceberg, supposed to answer when their littlest wizards and witches ask what 'effing' means? Sure, Rowling kept its used down to three times, but I say in a puff of huffle, that it is three times to many.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home