Monday, August 13, 2007

Pioneers

It doesn't really astound me how lowly I regard the regular offerings of the entertainment industry. I can understand the independent fervor and the intrinsic need to create in a mind not as ordered as my own, but once you get a whole industry in on a project, well, that's where the suck truly begins.

People are always telling me I just have to see such and such a movie,, but the truth is that movies bore me to no end. Even when a movie is actually pretty good it can be hard for me to take. For instance, I saw The Bourne Ultimatum recently and it was actually pretty good as hollywood faire goes and if you like that sort of thing, then you will like this particular thing, but the continually jerky and swift camera motion intended to evoke realism just gave me motion sickness that made me want to walk out and get some fresh air. It would have been rude though. They have a private viewing room for people like me, where the movies start when I want them to. I think the seats are just too close to the screen. I'll have to tell someone to enlarge the rooms.

I wanted to make note of a movie for you to look forward to: No Country For Old Men. I can't say what your tastes in movies are, so maybe this isn't the movie for you, but if its not, then you'll probably be alright watching VH1 or whatever it is that you do watch. Anyway, its a Coen Brothers movie, but in the vein of Blood Simple; its not a comedy. And its based on the book by Cormac McCarthy, which is really the only thing you should need to know except for this additional tidbit: to watch the trailer, you'd think it was not an adaptation at all, but a direct book to screen representation. Every word in the trailer, well nearly every word, is straight from the book. Of course, the movie isn't exactly like that. Those Coen brothers changed details, but I think they've been about as faithful as can be expected.

I think this movie is probably about a million times better than A History of Violence, but everyone who loved that movie, which was on every critic's yearly top ten list, probably isn't smart enough to know any better. While this isn't quite up to McCarthy's other literature where pioneers and settlers are slaughtered on the open plains its about as close as you'll be likely to see in a movie of wide release.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home