Positive tension
There is a palpable tension in the air at work. I think someone is going to be let go. Oh, I hope its the smelly fellow who sits near the group printer. Anytime I have to pick up a large report, it is just an assault on my sensitive nostrils. I think it would be an entirely positive development, in which case all of this late seriousness will have been for something good.
There have been increasingly hushed tones and less interaction all week. Should that be decreasingly hushed tones? I suppose it could be argued that its the tones that are increasing not the hush of them. Well, I've been busy as a little bee with all the work I've had. Although it may seem to the casual observer that I operate on a plane entirely separate from the quotidian, I am, I think, rather observant of all the little quirks and goings on. The perception that gallows are being erected for someone really has a negative effect on office morale when people don't know who its for. I want to graciously take individuals underneath my comforting wing and let them know I'll protect them from whatever storm crashes in, but I must suppress that inclination. Despite the lowered morale, nearly everyone seems even more--if you can imagine the possibility--eager to please me.
I only wish I could eliminate the awkward small talk. Sometimes, as a little joke, I say nothing and let them fill the long pauses with increasingly awkward speculation as to my opinions. Its a bit of a guilty pleasure I suppose, but really, I wish they knew better. Perhaps they'll learn.
There have been increasingly hushed tones and less interaction all week. Should that be decreasingly hushed tones? I suppose it could be argued that its the tones that are increasing not the hush of them. Well, I've been busy as a little bee with all the work I've had. Although it may seem to the casual observer that I operate on a plane entirely separate from the quotidian, I am, I think, rather observant of all the little quirks and goings on. The perception that gallows are being erected for someone really has a negative effect on office morale when people don't know who its for. I want to graciously take individuals underneath my comforting wing and let them know I'll protect them from whatever storm crashes in, but I must suppress that inclination. Despite the lowered morale, nearly everyone seems even more--if you can imagine the possibility--eager to please me.
I only wish I could eliminate the awkward small talk. Sometimes, as a little joke, I say nothing and let them fill the long pauses with increasingly awkward speculation as to my opinions. Its a bit of a guilty pleasure I suppose, but really, I wish they knew better. Perhaps they'll learn.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home