Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Little Thoughts

I don't know if anyone has noticed lately but we are in the dog days of August. I know this has been written about to death and it seems there's hardly anything I can add to the collection that will make it in any way better, but I am going to say this and it is going to be direct and perhaps a little vulgar so if you're the sensitive type that so many of my gentle readers are you might just want to skip over this little thought.

Weatherperson, can you get your head out of your ass? I don't know what sort of education you have to have to be so upbeat to come into work and smile and predict day after day that tomorrow will be better. Look its 100 degrees right now, and I know some rain is supposed to come through and cool things off, but do you really think that tomorrow the high will be 91, and the day after that 88, and after that 87? I mean really. And do you expect anyone out there to believe it? Look at this, you're making me put all these question marks in here and its is just hurting everyone's sensibilities.

I guarantee, that over the next three days, I'll see 100 degree weather, and it wouldn't surprise me a bit to see it all three days, even with the rain. So what I'm getting at is to find out if you do any sort of backtracking, looking at the temperatures you predicted and what they actually were, because you might notice a trend, namely you consistently predict highs 5-6 degrees low.

I think the world needs a dour weatherman. Not someone who promises tomorrow will be better, or that this is a bright and beautiful world that we live in, but one who promises that tomorrow will be worse and while it is often beautiful--I'm in it after all--this world is not always so. This weatherman should just pretty much take the forecast and add a degree of depressing to it. If its hot, claim it will be hotter, cold, colder, rainy, wetter and so on and so on. Then, this world will seem bright and beautiful compared to our expectations.

Look weatherman, you don't have to sell the weather to us. There's only one kind. Its not going to be some other kind. Just that one. So prepare us for the worst, and leave the hoping for the best to us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home