Thursday, March 10, 2005

Movie Review

AMC recently showed Gidget as their afternoon movie. Although I remember watching Sally Field in reruns of the spinoff television series as a child, I don't think I had ever actually seen the movie. I've seen and enjoyed other beach movies (no, it doesn't take much to entertain me), but never the tale about Francine "Gidget" Lawrence and her Moondoggie.

I have to say, I really enjoyed it. I actually understand more of the jokes from Psycho Beach Party after watching it. So, I did a little research and found out that there are 2 sequels to Gidget, in addition to the t.v. show and various other "Gidget" projects. Thanks to Netflix and a midterm Accounting test to study for, I managed to watch both movies last night.

Deborah Walley replaced the great Sandra Dee in Gidget Goes Hawaiian. I actually liked Deborah Walley a little better because Sandra Dee's sugary sweet voice can be a little grating (making you wonder why The Big Kahuna never slapped her). I really liked this movie...it was a little bit funnier than the original.

In Gidget Goes To Rome, they used yet another actress, Cindy Carol, to play Gidget. While she did a good job, the movie pissed me off. First off, there was no beach. Secondly, (and if this spoils it for any of you rushing out to your local video store and/or Netflix website to rent this, I'm sorry) but Gidget and Moondoggie break up to persue other people (Gidget goes after a much older, married man and Moondoggie goes after an Italian tease). When neither of the relationships work out, they get back together like it was no big deal. Ohhh...makes me mad.

All in all, it was enjoyable. Makes me want to rent Beach Blanket Bingo and other silly beach movies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home